Recent regulatory amendments to O.Reg.367/11 under the Housing Services, Act, 2011 simplify the calculation of Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI). These changes will come into effect on July 1st 2020. Service managers have the option to implement the simplified calculation immediately or to delay the implementation of the new RGI rules until July 1st, 2021.
The current course should only be taken by housing providers in service areas where the service manager has chosen to delay the implementation until 2021.ONPHA is currently working to update our course materials and related resources to reflect the regulatory changes and a new course will be offered in the coming months.
Before registering for the current course, housing providers should confirm when their service manager intends to implement the new RGI simplification rules to determine which course is best for them to take. If housing providers are unsure, they should connect with ONPHA at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information before registering.
April 7, 2020 to July 7, 2020
Learn how to administer rent-geared-to-income (RGI) under the Housing Services Act, 2011.
About this course
This course was created to expand your understanding of RGI administration as well as give you helpful resources and tips about:
- the concept of rent-geared-to-income (RGI)
- the Housing Services Act, 2011 (HSA) and it's regulations
- the service manager’s local rules
- how to assess eligibility for RGI
- how to determine the right housing unit
- how to determine income
- how to calculate RGI
- how to apply adjustments for utilities
- how and when to implement RGI changes
- what to do when a tenant ceases to qualify for RGI
- how to send out proper notices
- what happens when an RGI household asks for a review or appeal.
The course content is updated each term to reflect the current state of regulations as of the course launch date.
Learners will have access to the web-based course and moderator for a period of three months.
What past course participants have said:
“I completed the RGI course and I was amazed at how much I learned and how much of the information I could apply to my work.”
"I am so glad this course was offered! I gained a ton of knowledge which can be applied to my current position in social housing and rental calculations."
Institute for Housing Management (IHM) Certificate credit
This course can be counted as a full credit for the Institute of Housing Management (IHM) Certificate Program. Upon receiving a passing grade on the course, you can apply to IHM for a full credit recognition. Your request must include:
- an application form (provided by ONPHA)
- a copy of your Certificate of Achievement (provided by ONPHA)
- a fee of $25.00 (plus HST)
Accessing the course
Please note: you must be logged in to access or register for the course.