The new, simplified rules will make RGI administration and calculations easier for community housing providers and tenants to predict and understand.
The new rent-geared-to-income (RGI) rules, aimed at simplifying RGI administration, came into effect on July 1, 2020. Service managers had the option to delay implementation of the new rules (other than the new guidelines for minimum rent) until July 1, 2021.
After July 1, 2021, all service managers and community housing providers will use the new RGI rules.
Get ready for the new, simplified world of RGI!
Who should take this course?
This course is designed for community housing providers who operate units or who have entered into rent supplement agreements with their service manager that are governed by the Housing Services Act, 2011.
This course does not apply to community housing providers who continue to operate under former federal agreements (Section 95) or provincial agreements with Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOH/LTC) or Ministry of Community and Social Services (MCSS).
This course is recommended for community housing staff who are responsible for administering RGI or review RGI decisions.
What will I learn?
This course was created to expand your understanding of RGI administration, new simplified RGI rules, and give you helpful resources and tips about:
- the Housing Services Act, 2011 (HSA)
- service managers’ local rules
- assessing RGI eligibility
- determining the right housing unit
- determining adjusted family net income (AFNI) using:
- tax-based net income
- approximated net income
- calculating RGI (including the new minimum rent)
- applying adjustments for utilities
- when to review RGI
- how and when to implement RGI changes
- what to do when tenants no longer qualify for RGI
- how to send out proper notices
- when RGI households ask for a review or appeal
Accessing the course
You must be logged in to register and to access this course when the course launches. Unsure how to move forward? Connect with ONPHA at email@example.com to learn more before registering.
Haven't implemented the new rules yet? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more educational options.