Member Update: April 21, 4:30PM
Prime Minister Announces Investment into Non-Profits
Today, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a $350 million investment to support vulnerable Canadians through charities and non-profit organizations that deliver essential services to those in need. To help these Canadians, the Government of Canada will provide additional support to charities and non-profit organizations through the Emergency Community Support Fund.
The investment will flow through national organizations with the ability to get funds quickly to local organizations that serve vulnerable populations. It will support a variety of activities, such as:
- Increasing volunteer-based home deliveries of groceries and medications
- Providing transportation services, like accompanying or driving seniors or persons with disabilities to appointments
- Scaling up help lines that provide information and support
- Helping vulnerable Canadians access government benefits
- Providing training, supplies, and other required supports to volunteers so they can continue to make their invaluable contributions to the COVID-19 response
- Replacing in-person, one-on-one contact and social gatherings with virtual contact through phone calls, texts, teleconferences, or the Internet
Trudeau said these organizations are struggling to help more and more people due to the global pandemic. The funds will support community groups through national organizations such as the United Way Canada, the Canadian Red Cross and the Community Foundations of Canada.
With these further supports, we are making sure vulnerable Canadians feeling the financial and social impacts of COVID-19 can get the help they need, when they need it most.
Trudeau also announced today that employers can now use a calculator on the Canada Revenue Agency website to figure out how much they're eligible for through the wage subsidy program. Businesses, non-profits and charities can begin applying for the 75 per cent wage subsidy on Monday, April 27. The subsidy covers up to $847 a week per employee.
To learn more about this initiative, you can contact ONPHA today at email@example.com.